This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1462 / 51°8'46"N
Longitude: -1.7142 / 1°42'51"W
OS Eastings: 420089
OS Northings: 138583
OS Grid: SU200385
Mapcode National: GBR 50K.5FK
Mapcode Global: VHC31.7GM6
Entry Name: The Close
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319908
Location: Allington, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Allington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Allington with Boscombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 23 NW
4/10 The Close
House. Later C17 and c.1800. Flint and brick with tiled roof.
Two storeys and attics. Probably originally a central hall bay
with service room to left and cross parlour wing on right, outshut
added to centre c.1800 and front elevation rebuilt in 3 stages.
Entrance 6-panelled door, the upper panels glazed, under wood
Tuscan portico of c.1800. Various timber casement windows with
leaded glazing. Two dormers to front, one to rear. Roof hipped,
and swept down over outshut to rear.
Interior: Centre bay has double ovolo moulded spine beam, with
single ovolo beam to right bay, now kitchen, with added gable stack
of c.1800. Bar chamfer stops to left bay, formerly service room,
now drawing room. Stair in outshut has bulbous newels and shaped
balusters. Timber framed partitions to upper floor and C17 stair
to attic with wavy splat balusters. Double purlin roof, lower
butt, and upper clasped.
Listing NGR: SU2008938583
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings