History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Keeble and Attached Annexe

A Grade II Listed Building in Shrewton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1935 / 51°11'36"N

Longitude: -1.9052 / 1°54'18"W

OS Eastings: 406721

OS Northings: 143817

OS Grid: SU067438

Mapcode National: GBR 3YD.53W

Mapcode Global: VHB58.X8NC

Entry Name: Keeble and Attached Annexe

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355665

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319863

Location: Shrewton, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Shrewton

Built-Up Area: Shrewton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shrewton

Listing Text

SHREWTON MADDINGTON STREET
SU 04 SE
(off south side)
3/255 Keeble and attached Annexe.
II
Vicarage, now house with attached services, now separate dwelling.
Early C18 with late C18 and early C19 additions to north, late C19
remodelling dated by 1877 on rainwater heads and '1877 FB CVG 1895'
inscribed on Wain door architrave. Flint and limestone chequers to
early C18 range, remainder is brick and flint bands, tiled roofs
with brick stacks. Small rectangular C18 house, with later wings
added at right angles to rear, entrance front is now on left return
of original house. 2-storey, 3-window front. To right is C19 6-
panelled door in moulded stone architrave with date and inscription
as above, and tiled canopy, inserted in C18 range, to left is 12-
pane sash and tripartite sash. First floor has three 12-pane
sashes, good cast-iron rain water heads. Hipped dormer to hipped
roof of early C18 range to right. Right return is original front;
C19 canted bay to left, partly cuts a blocked beaded doorcase, to
left is a small casement in moulded architrave, to right are C20
French windows, first floor has three flush 12-pane sashes in
moulded wooden architraves. Rear has 2-light mullion window with
beading and dripstone to left, to right is 4-pane tripartite sash
and 4-panelled door, first floor has blocked window to left and to
right a pair of 8-pane sashes and one small 4-pane sash, C19 range
has slate roof. Left return has 2-light beaded mullioned window
and half-glazed door, with 4-pane sash, C20 window and 4-panelled
door to left, first floor has casements and small sashes. Annexe
attached to left is 1-storey with attic, 4-window; 4-pane sashes
and cast-iron casements to rear with three dormers with casements
to roof of rear, front has inserted garage doors, good stacks with
stepped cappings.
Interior has bolection-moulded fireplace in south-east room of
original range, early C19 newel stairs with turned balusters and
good 4-panelled doors. Reset on front wall of late C18 range, to
left of door, is stone inscription panel with Latin inscription and
date 1704, probably relating to the building of the house by Sir
Stephen Fox who also rebuilt the chancel of the church (q.v.) in
1699. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).


Listing NGR: SU0672143817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.