This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1545 / 51°9'16"N
Longitude: -1.7094 / 1°42'33"W
OS Eastings: 420421
OS Northings: 139516
OS Grid: SU204395
Mapcode National: GBR 50D.DNN
Mapcode Global: VHC31.B75R
Entry Name: Bishop's Cottage
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319916
Location: Allington, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Allington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Allington with Boscombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ALLINGTON WYNDHAM LANE
SU 23 NW
4/18 Bishop's Cottage
Farmhouse now house. Late C18 on site of earlier building
destroyed by fire. Colourwashed flint with brick quoins and
banding on a brick sill. Thatched roof. Two storeys, 3 bays.
Central door replaced by window, all windows C19 paired casements
within segmental headed openings. Boarded door in lean-to on
left, enclosed in glass porch. Offsetting brick courses at eaves.
Gable stacks. Continuous lean-to at rear, formerly dairy, and
rear wing on left now containing kitchen.
Interior altered, original kitchen probably in left bay fireplace.
Spine beam to living room. Wattle and daub partitions on first
floor. Original stair was in outshut. Building was built by a
Richard Bishop, bricklayer, who acquired the site in 1789 and sold
the house in 1804.
Listing NGR: SU2042139516
Other nearby listed buildings