History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long Close House

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9933 / 50°59'35"N

Longitude: -1.7561 / 1°45'22"W

OS Eastings: 417211

OS Northings: 121573

OS Grid: SU172215

Mapcode National: GBR 528.LTM

Mapcode Global: FRA 766H.9MZ

Entry Name: Long Close House

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319664

Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Built-Up Area: Downton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

DOWNTON LONG CLOSE
SU 1721
(south side)
5/105 Long Close House
23/3/60

II

Detached house. Mid C17, north addition c.1840, south side rebuilt
c.1890. Plastered chalk, English bond brick to rear, Welsh slate
roof, brick stacks. C17 range with paralled C19 addition and bay
to east. 2-storey, 5 window front. 6-panelled door in panelled
reveals with fanlight and porch to left, to left is 3-light 8-pane
sash with keystone, to either side is single 8-pane sash and to
right are two 3-light sashes and a 6-panelled door in beaded case
with flat wooden hood on cast-iron brackets. Facade divided by
pilasters and plat band to first floor. First floor has three 2-
light casements and a single 4-pane sash and a pair of sashes.
Left return has fixed window to first floor. Rear is in English
bond brick, three 2-storey canted bays with segmental-headed sashes
and hipped slate roofs, between are 2-light casements and 16-pane
flush sashes.
Interior has good mid C19 stairs in front extension with barley-
twist carved balusters, wood panelled ceiling. Rear range has
chamfered beams with ogee and jewelled stops. Reset early C17
fireplace surround in east room had arabesque carving, probably
from the Market Place, Salisbury. First floor has some partly
exposed timber-framed partition. Attached to east gable is late
C19 glass conservatory with round-arched leaded windows, fan-laid
mosaic floor and cresting to roof; by Messenger and Company of
Loughborough, named on door handle.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)


Listing NGR: SU1721121573

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.