History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Standlynch Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0111 / 51°0'39"N

Longitude: -1.7426 / 1°44'33"W

OS Eastings: 418154

OS Northings: 123555

OS Grid: SU181235

Mapcode National: GBR 522.J8J

Mapcode Global: FRA 767F.WF7

Entry Name: Standlynch Mill

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319685

Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

DOWNTON STANDLYNCH
SU 12 SE
(west side)
4/126 Standlynch Mill

GV II

Mill on River Avon, now disused, with cottage. late C18, C19
remodelling. English bond brick with stepped plinth and vitrified
headers, half-hipped tiled roof, brick stacks. L-plan with single-
storey C18 wing and late C19 extension. Single-storey and attic, 5
windows. Stable door in chamfered case with initials MB 1698 on
lintel, planked door to right and 2-light casements and louvred
windows to left. Five hipped dormers to roof, one with 2-light
latticed leaded casements. Left return has several louvred
windows. Right return has 2-light casements to ground and first
floors. Rear has louvred windows and semi-circular arch over mill
race to right, to left are 2-light casements.
Interior has chamfered beams with runout stops, cupboard with
butterfly hinges in west room, 6-bay roof with original C17
trusses, tie-beam with raking struts to collar and two tiers of
butt purlins, the upper tier with straight wind bracing. The
initials MB are of Maurice Bockland of the original Standlynch
House nearby, demolished c1733; his wife rebuilt Standlynch Chapel
(q.v.), 1677.
(Unpublished records of RCHM England), Salisbury. Country Life,
July 13th, 1945 page 68)


Listing NGR: SU1815423555

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.