This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9927 / 50°59'33"N
Longitude: -1.7522 / 1°45'7"W
OS Eastings: 417490
OS Northings: 121504
OS Grid: SU174215
Mapcode National: GBR 528.MTV
Mapcode Global: FRA 766H.C5Z
Entry Name: Borough Cross in Front of No 62 (The White Horse)
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319592
Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Downton
Built-Up Area: Downton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DOWNTON THE BOROUGH
Borough Cross, in front of No 62
23/3/60 (The White Horse)
Borough cross. C14, restored 1787, 1897 and 1953. Limestone.
Three worn hexagonal steps up to square plinth with chamfered
corners, octagonal shaft with small cross. Latin inscription on
riser of middle step and inscription tablets on bottom step
commemorating restorations; 1897 repair paid for by Helen, Countess
of Radnor; 1953 restoration to celebrate the Coronation. Downton
was granted borough status and market charter by Peter des Roches,
bishop of Winchester c.1205. Very similar cross to that in the
churchyard (q.v.) Ancient Monument, Wiltshire, Number 294.
Listing NGR: SU1749021504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings