History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lloyds Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Salisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0701 / 51°4'12"N

Longitude: -1.7959 / 1°47'45"W

OS Eastings: 414394

OS Northings: 130106

OS Grid: SU143301

Mapcode National: GBR 517.W6T

Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.64G

Entry Name: Lloyds Bank

Listing Date: 12 October 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355773

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319208

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Salisbury

Built-Up Area: Salisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Salisbury

Listing Text

MARKET PLACE
1.
1594
(Blue Boar Row)
Lloyds Bank
SU 1430 SW 1/414
II GV
2.
Large L shape site with front to Castle Street as well. To Market Place left
hand 5 bays of 1869 with matching 5 bay extension to right of 1901. Elaborate
debased classical front of Ham Hill stone. Original half of 1869. 3 storeys.
Plinth, panelled frieze and cornice over ground floor. Panelled frieze and
cornice on reeded brackets over first floor. Plain frieze and main cornice
rising up as segmental pediment over centre. Arcaded parapet articulated
by capped piers. In centre, over pediment, a plinth supporting female sculptured
group and date tablet. 5 windows to upper floor, recessed sashes, glazing
bars camber headed with architrave surrounds on second floor, round headed
on first floor. The second floor is articulated by short pilasters panelled
to corners and 1/4 pilasters added to those flanking centre. First floor
has broad flanking pilasters with stylised anthemion capitals, 3/4 columns
between windows and doubled to centre, with similar capitals. Entablature
moulding as imposts to architrave arches over windows on this floor with blind
columnar balustrades below each window. 4 windows, no glazing bars on ground
floor with broad pilasters flanking central entrance and corners, narrow ones
between, all with foliate band carving to capitals. Ornate double panelled
doors, plain semi-circular fanlight, imposts and roll moulding to arch, carved
spandrels and figured keystone. The 5 bay extension to right, of 1901, is
in same style and very slightly recessed. The site extends back to Castle
Street And Chipper Lane. The block on corner of Chipper Lane and Castle Street
dates from 1901. Robust Baroque, tall 2 storeys ashlar (Ham stone?), granite
plinth. Capped brackets to cornice, parapet with blind balustered panels,
projecting string between storeys. Ground floor has banded rustication, rusticated
quoins. To Castle Street: wide slightly projecting bay next to corner with
large pediment breaking through parapet. 5 windows first floor, 4 on ground
floor. Architrave surrounds, cornice broken forward to sides, large stepped
keystones.
On ground floor Gibbs surrounds and cambered heads. Doorway to right with
similar surround. The pedimented bay has tripartite windows to both floors,
that on first floor with dividing pilasters, dentil cornice to entablature,
keystone, segmental broken pediment over centre, apron below. Ground floor
has Gibbs surround curved over centre light. The corner is curved and slightly
recessed between rusticated quoins. Chipper Lane front similar lath 3 windows,
that to centre first floor having Gibbs surround and pediment. 2 storey slightly
later extension of 9 bays. Mansard slate roof. 4 segmental pedimented dormers.
Cornice and frieze, stringcourse and plinth, Windows have cambered heads
on first floor, large keystones. Central doorway in Gibbs surround segmental
head, panel over above stringcourse.

Nos 34, 35, The Chough Hotel, No 37 and Lloyds Bank form a group.


Listing NGR: SU1439430106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.