This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0811 / 51°4'52"N
Longitude: -1.863 / 1°51'46"W
OS Eastings: 409691
OS Northings: 131320
OS Grid: SU096313
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZT.3SZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 66Z8.B0V
Entry Name: The Moat House
Listing Date: 4 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319263
Location: Wilton, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Wilton
Built-Up Area: Wilton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wilton St Mary and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5409 NORTH STREET
(The Moat House)
SU 0931 5/24 4.8.51.
Dated 1801, on site of and incorporating an earlier house. Former Charity
Free School (principal 1st floor room called the Dormitory). Left hand
corner stone to front bears date. 2 storeys, colour-washed red and blue
brick. Plinth, 1st floor gault brick string, offset and dentil eaves.
Hipped old tile roof with end chimneys. Glazing bar sash windows with stone
voussoirs and projecting keys. 4 on 1st floor, 2 on ground floor to left;
on right a large tripartite window inserted in segmental headed former stable
entrance. Flush panel 2 leaf doors with segmental-arched radiating fanlight
over under semi-circular hooded pediment supported on 2 Doric columns, all
overgrown. Victorian footscraper. Elevation returned left with cornice.
Further parallel extension to rear. In yard adjacent to tributary stream
a cracked slate clock with roman numerals from the stables at Fonthill.
Interior somewhat altered; panelled dado in front ground floor room.
Listing NGR: SU0969131320
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings