This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0658 / 51°3'56"N
Longitude: -1.7952 / 1°47'42"W
OS Eastings: 414448
OS Northings: 129630
OS Grid: SU144296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2Z6
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.DH4
Entry Name: 9, the Close
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318968
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
1594 No 9
SU 1429 NW 3/53 28.2.52.
Later C18 refacing of C17 building. 2 storeys and attic, red brick. North
entrance front has projecting plinth and 1st floor string. Wide brick rusticated
quoins colourwashed. Hipped old tile roof with 3 hipped dormers. Small moulded
eaves cornice. 5 windows, centre tripartite on 1st floor. 4 on ground floor,
symmetrical front: flush architrave framed sashes, glazing bars intact, flat
rubber arched, 6 panel shutters to ground floor windows. Central entrance
with door of 6 fielded panels with panelled frame and large arched fanlight
of concentric and radiating glazing pattern. Doric porch of stone columns,
painted pilasters on wall face, and painted entablature with dentil cornice
each side supporting open segmental dentil and moulded pediment hood. West
front - colourwashed stucco. Old tile roof one leaded dormer casement.
Projecting left hand wing similar design to north front with 1 window on 1st
floor and early Cl9 8-light mullioned and transomed window with French casements
and large sliding shutters on ground floor. Remainder has 2 windows on 1st
floor, one window (C19 and glazed door on ground floor.
In the kitchen and hall, panelling from the former Cathedral choir stalls
probably designed by Wren for Bishop Seth Ward. Hall has some mid C18 panelling
with open pediments supported by Corinthian pilasters. Stair entrance later
C17 with 2 arches and rusticated square pillar. Staircase later C17, closed
stringtring, posts with vases. One room has good Rococo stucco ceiling.
The roof line of wing to rear is extended over No 8 The Close qv.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1444629630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings