This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.558 / 51°33'28"N
Longitude: -1.7936 / 1°47'36"W
OS Eastings: 414407
OS Northings: 184364
OS Grid: SU144843
Mapcode National: GBR YPF.WC
Mapcode Global: VHB3L.V3PH
Entry Name: Cambria Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 23 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318683
Location: Swindon, SN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 18 SW SWINDON
3/23 Cambria Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel, 1866. Snecked rock-faced limestone with Bath
ashlar dressings. Slate-hung brickwork to west side, English bond
brickwork with stone dressings to east and rear. C20 interlocking
tile roof. Rear hall extensions. North entrance elevation with
central pair 2-panelled doors within painted pilasters and keyed
archivolt. Thin pediment over. Stone plinth and end pilaster
buttresses. Round-headed 2-pane sash windows either side.
Elevation characteristically Welsh. Each side 3 round-headed cast
iron paned windows within hollow-chamfered reveals.
Internally simple west gallery on 2 slender cast iron columns.
Raised dias with turned balustrade and acorn headed newels.
Boarded flat ceiling. Hall and additions not of special interest.
The chapel is the focal point of Cambria Place, built for the Welsh
community of ironworkers moving to Swindon.
Listing NGR: SU1440784364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings