History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5613 / 51°33'40"N

Longitude: -1.7945 / 1°47'40"W

OS Eastings: 414344

OS Northings: 184736

OS Grid: SU143847

Mapcode National: GBR YP9.LR

Mapcode Global: VHB3L.V06X

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 2 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355898

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318712

Location: Swindon, SN1

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Listing Text

CHURCH PLACE
SU 1484 NW SWINDON
(north side)
5/52 Church of St. Mark
2.10.51
II

Anglican parish church of New Swindon. 1843-5, by Scott and
Moffatt. Rock-faced snecked limestone, C20 grey tile roofs with
lead to aisles. Nave and aisles, south porch and opposite north
steeple. Chancel with south chapel and north vestry, latter of
1897 by Temple Moore. Decorated style and Tractarian. 5-bay nave
with large 5-light Curvilinear west window and door below within 3
orders, now glazed. Two pointed segmental-headed clerestory
windows between flat gabled buttresses, and fleuron decorated
hollow moulding over. Aisles have 2-light windows of varying
tracery between buttresses. South aisle chapel 3-bay with door in
west bay and elaborate 2-light traceried windows. 3-light east
window to chancel of 1897, with continuous string and angle
buttresses. North chancel vestry with grotesque rain-water heads.
4 stage tower also with angle buttresses, and 2-light louvred bell
openings. 140ft crocketed spire with base lucarnes and north door,
detail as west door. Porch early C14 style triple keeling chafts
and open timber roof.
Interior: West bay C20 conversion to hall under organ. Quatrefoil
piers with arcade of 2 chamfered orders. Open hammer-beam roof on
carved corbels. 3-bay chancel moulded arcade on keeled columns and
circular abaci. Wagon roof of 4 bays on coved wall plates with
corbel brackets. Pulpit octagonal. Font with suspended oak cover
spire. Glass: West window of 1843-5. South chapel east window,
Mary and Child, 1894 by Kempe, also Kempe aisle window. Toledo
coffer, highly carved, on arcaded base dated 1543.


Listing NGR: SU1434484736

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.