This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5211 / 51°31'15"N
Longitude: -1.8031 / 1°48'11"W
OS Eastings: 413759
OS Northings: 180257
OS Grid: SU137802
Mapcode National: GBR 4VT.LYM
Mapcode Global: VHB3S.P1N8
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John and St Helen
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318609
Location: Wroughton, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Wroughton
Built-Up Area: Wroughton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wroughton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5410 WROUGHTON CHURCH HILL
Parish Church of
St John and St Helen
SU 1380 22/527 26.1.55
C15 West Tower; C14 aisled and clerestoried 3 bay nave with South porch;
3 bay C14 chancel with North chapel and 2 bay C19 vestry. Restored by T. H. Wyatt
1846, again 1852, 1880s and 1905. Little except the North and South doom
and possibly the bases of the arcades survive of the Norman church. Built
of rubble. Lead roofs. Cornices and parapets with corbel heads and end finials.
Apex over chancel arch has restored sacring belfry. Most windows in Decorated
style, East window of 5 lights with almond-shaped upper tracery. Clerestory
windows square headed with foiled lights. South door: late C12 with horizontal
zig-zag order and saltire crosses to label, foliate caps to slender nook shafts.
North door: circa 1200 pointed doorway with scalloped caps.
Three stage embattled tower with corner pinnalces (added 1846), set off stages,
diagonal buttresses to ground and 1st stages. Upper stage possibly added,
2 light traceried windows to belfry. Interior: double chamfered pointed
arcades with dying mouldings, North arcade dates from 1846 and probably replaces
a Norman one. Late 014/early C15 roof to nave: moulded principal timbers
to low pitched panelled roof, arched upper purlins; arcaded trusses with
braces from carved head corbels. C19 windbrace roof with hammerbeam corbels
in chancel. Arcaded mediaeval reredos in South aisle. Fine sedilia with
crocketted ogee arches and carved piscina, both probably C14. Fine chancel
memorials to Benets and Buttons and, in C18, to Codringtons; epitaph to William
Sadler, early C17, mentioning the Armada. large iron bound parish chest in
The churchyard is well stocked with C17 and C18 headstones, including a triple
one on North side. A number of chest tombs to South, several shrouded by
immense few tree outside South porch.
Listing NGR: SU1375780260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings