This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5149 / 51°30'53"N
Longitude: -1.7308 / 1°43'50"W
OS Eastings: 418778
OS Northings: 179591
OS Grid: SU187795
Mapcode National: GBR 4VX.TH8
Mapcode Global: VHB3T.Y5CZ
Entry Name: Chiseldon House
Listing Date: 20 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318327
Location: Chiseldon, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Chiseldon
Built-Up Area: Chiseldon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
5410 CHISELDON NEW ROAD
SU 1879 29/184
Circa 1827 (deeds). Detached late Regency villa.
Two storeys ashlar. Slate roof. Flanking chimneys with moulded capping.
Raised and ramped verges. South front: side piers; 3 windows on first floor,
glazing bar sashes with marginal glazing. Two tripartite windows on ground
floor with reeded pilasters and central alcove. In front is a 3 bay segmental
verandah arcade with flanking arches and dividing incised pilasters. Cast
iron Greek-key pattern balcony over. East gable front for entrance: 3 bays,
band at first floor cill level, panel in chimney and below in gable. Flanking
blind windows with moulded architraves. Projecting central Greek Doric portico,
early C20 square bay above this with mullion and transom windows. large 2 1/2
storey service wing to north added probably mid C19, with mansard stone tile
roof. Interior: elegant stone staircase with arched cast iron balusters and
husks, dome over with ribs and oculus and patterned designs. Segmental stair
arch with guttae below corbels. South-east ground floor room has columns
to marble fireplace and large grate.
Listing NGR: SU1877879591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings