History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blunsdon St. Andrew, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6152 / 51°36'54"N

Longitude: -1.7813 / 1°46'52"W

OS Eastings: 415238

OS Northings: 190725

OS Grid: SU152907

Mapcode National: GBR 4TP.LGV

Mapcode Global: VHB37.2NNP

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 26 January 1955

Last Amended: 20 September 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355999

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318234

Location: Blunsdon St. Andrew, Swindon, SN26

County: Swindon

Civil Parish: Blunsdon St Andrew

Built-Up Area: Broad Blunsdon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Broad Blunsdon

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Broad Blunsdon

Listing Text


1.
5410 BLUNSDON ST ANDREW HIGH STREET
(north side)
Broad Blunsdon
Manor House
(formerly listed as
Manor Farmhouse)
so 1590 21/77 26.1.55

II* GV

2.
Early C17 and later C17. 'L' plan rubble with stone tile roof. Two and a half
storeys and cellar. Modern porch in angle. Ashlar chimneys with moulded capping
(diagonal when in pairs). Two bays to left wing and one to right hand, glazing
bar sashes. Gable ends have open pediments, or triangular labels, above windows
of first and attic floors. Two gables to west, one with a pair of chimneys;
stair with mid C19 window with intersecting glazing; and a number of very small
windows.
Rear: 2 gables one with later brick diagonal chimneys, the other with triangular
labels to sash windows and blocks to lintels and at transom (lost) level.
Interesting interior details: the staircase is square-plan Jacobean with 3 landings
between floors, heavy balusters and handrails, and corner and centre pillars
(corners panelled). Arcading between pillars on first floor landing. On the
first floor a circa 1600 fireplace with plain panelled spandrels and rounded
stop chamfer. The ground floor parlour has another circa 1600 fireplace with
panelled spandrels and high stop chamfers cut back. Door to parlour and to
cellar has decorative stop chamfers which look later than early C17.


Listing NGR: SU1523890725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.