History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pond Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Purton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6091 / 51°36'32"N

Longitude: -1.8747 / 1°52'28"W

OS Eastings: 408776

OS Northings: 190033

OS Grid: SU087900

Mapcode National: GBR 3SF.0VQ

Mapcode Global: VHB35.GT9C

Entry Name: Pond Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 January 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317976

Location: Purton, Wiltshire, SN5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Purton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Purton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Leigh

Listing Text

SU 08 SE PURTON POND LANE, PURTON STOKE
8/330
Pond Farmhouse
17.1.85
II*

Farmhouse. Late C16, C17 and C18, on earlier moated site.
Limestone rubble. Stone slate roof. 2-storeys and attic.
Original building to rear, 2 bays 1 storey and attic, to which is
added early C17 'L' plan front block of 3 bays, limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings and offset plinth. This has central stair
hall but plan altered later. To rear further extensions in C19 and
C20. Original building has later sash windows and 2 gables with 6-
pane sashes. C17 building has hollow chamfered stone-mullioned
windows, some transomed, with elliptical relieving arches over. On
upper floor, these replaced with 16-pane sashes in raised stone
surrounds, some blocked by insertion of stack. Half glazed door in
trellised pitched porch. Left and rear gable raised and coped.
Inserted stack has shaped shoulders and rebuilt shaft. 1 dormer.
C18 stone wine cellar to rear.
Interior of early building has heavy chamfered cross beams and
joists, and formerly timber framed partitions with wattle and daub,
now surviving on first floor only. Later building has ovolo
moulded ceiling beams and some early doors. Reset datestone of
1698. Stair replaced C20. The house was the country retreat of
the Astronomer Royal, Nevil Maskelyne, and home of the Bathe family
in the C18. Good detached stone cattle house of 1914 on north
side.


Listing NGR: SU0877690033

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.