History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leigh, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6282 / 51°37'41"N

Longitude: -1.9112 / 1°54'40"W

OS Eastings: 406244

OS Northings: 192159

OS Grid: SU062921

Mapcode National: GBR 3RZ.X6Z

Mapcode Global: VHB34.TBHN

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 17 January 1955

Last Amended: 17 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317874

Location: Leigh, Wiltshire, SN6

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Leigh

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Leigh

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Leigh

Listing Text

SU 09 SE THE LEIGH SWAN LANE
(south side)

5/224 Church of All Saints
(formerly listed as All Saints Chapel)
17.1.55
II*

Anglican parish church. C14 and 1896 by C.E. Ponting. Squared
limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave rebuilt from old church
and new chancel added, all at cost of £1,300. C14 porch entrance
with wave moulding and hood. Sundial above. Inner door has simple
chamfer. C14 two and 3-light ogee headed windows to nave. Chancel
windows in Perpendicular style, 3-light east window, 2-light north
window, all with flattened cusping. Angle buttresses. Organ
recess under extension of chancel roof. Foliated crosses to
gables. Timber framed tower over west bay of tower, roughcast
externally and with 2-light pointed bell openings. Hipped gablet
roof.
Interior: Porch has ogee niche, with some red paint, and arch
braced collar beam roof on moulded wall plate. False purlins.
Incised date 1659. Nave of 5 bays, open timber roof probably
medieval in origin but dated 1638 on crenellated wall plate with
inscriptions, and initials IT, IL and CW 1783 on purlin. C17
carved principal rafters and decorated purlins. Wavy windbraces to
lowest bay. East bay of roof is panelled with carved bosses at
intersections of moulded ribs. West bay contains heavy braced
frame for tower. Chancel has panelled barrel vault and original
C19 fittings.
Fittings: Font, limestone. C13. Four-lobed basin on slightly
lobed stem. Pulpit C18 simple oak panelled with tester. C19
screen across west bay of nave forming vestry.


Listing NGR: SU0624492159

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.