This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5728 / 51°34'22"N
Longitude: -1.8666 / 1°51'59"W
OS Eastings: 409338
OS Northings: 186002
OS Grid: SU093860
Mapcode National: GBR 3ST.8X7
Mapcode Global: VHB3C.LQJN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317881
Location: Lydiard Millicent, Wiltshire, SN5
Civil Parish: Lydiard Millicent
Built-Up Area: Lydiard Millicent
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Swindon and the Lydiards
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 08 NE LYDIARD MILLICENT THE STREET
8/231 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church C14, C15 and C19. Rubble limestone
originally rendered. Stone slate roofs. Nave, independently
roofed south aisle with porch, chancel, west tower and north
chancel vestry. Nave of C14 has 2 Perpendicular 3-light north
windows. South aisle, of C14, has 2- and 3-light reticulated
windows and 7 masks set in wall, probably from earlier corbel
table. Sundial in south-east corner. Chancel windows 2-light
square-headed with ogee tracery, the east window C19. Blocked
priest's door on south side. West tower of 3 stages, 3-light west
window and small door under. Angle buttresses. Bell stage has
two-light openings with pierced stone screens. Quatrefoiled
parapet and corner spirelets. Stair tower added to north side
1858. South porch of 2 chamfered orders and internal benches.
Iron wind vane to tower.
Interior: Nave, plastered. 3 bay arcade to south aisle on
octagonal columns. Open C15-C16 roof of 6½ bays with carved
bosses. Hollow moulded chancel arch and wall brackets. Chancel
largely rebuilt in 1871. Arch to vestry. Timber panelled vault.
Squint from nave. Aisle also has open timber roof with arch braced
trussed rafters. Trefoiled piscina with slot for credence shelf.
Fittings; Font, C12, limestone bowl with intersecting arcading.
Pulpit, later C16 oak panelled. Octagonal with good ironmongery.
Other fittings date from C19, including curious canopy over south
door of 1857, and screen to vestry, Gothic of 1924. Organ under
tower arch. Monuments: Nave north wall. Tablet. C18. White and
grey marbles. Panel with coloured border and broken pediment with
urn. Obelisk over with arms and crest. To FERDINANDO ASKEW, died
1783, and family. In aisle: Two wall tablets, C19, white and grey
marbles. To BRIAN BEWLEY, died 1849, and EDWARD MILLINGTON, died
1864. Furniture: In vestry, fine carved reading desk of 1862,
converted to vestment chest. Chest, raised on legs with
Listing NGR: SU0933886002
Other nearby listed buildings