This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4861 / 51°29'9"N
Longitude: -2.1941 / 2°11'38"W
OS Eastings: 386619
OS Northings: 176362
OS Grid: ST866763
Mapcode National: GBR 1QP.XSJ
Mapcode Global: VH963.XXF5
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 9 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317606
Location: Yatton Keynell, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Yatton Keynell
Built-Up Area: Yatton Keynell
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Yatton Keynell
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
YATTON KEYNELL THE STREET
ST 87 NE
3/513 Church of St. Margaret of Antioch
(Formerly listed as Church of St Margaret)
Anglican parish church, C13 and C15, much restored 1868 by G. E.
Street. Rubble stone and ashlar with C19 red plain tile roofs and
coped gables. West tower, nave, north porch, south aisle, chancel
and north vestry. 4 stage tower, unbuttressed, the lower part C13
with C19 renewed west window, dripcourses, single light to second
stage, small cusped 2-light openings with pierced stone screens to
third stage and C15 ashlar top stage, similar to West Kington and
Burton (Nettleton) churches. 3 panels each side of 2 tiers of
paired cusped panels, top centre pair pierced for bell-opening.
Panelled battlements and corner pinnacles. Nave north side C15 with
one renewed 3-light Perpendicular style pointed window with
hoodmould, then north porch with shouldered panelled gable,
diagonal buttresses and high moulded plinth. Moulded pointed north
arch with hoodmould and 2-light window over with quatrefoil head.
Moulded Tudor-arched inner doorway with trefoil spandrels and 1868
door. Hoodmould over. Stone seats and moulded eaves cornice. 4-
light renewed Perpendicular style pointed window with hoodmould to
left. Ashlar lean-to vestry, 1868, north of chancel, chancel
north and south lancets 1868, possibly indicating C13 original,
diagonal buttresses and 3-light 1868 Perpendicular style east
window with hoodmould. South aisle gabled with moulded plinth,
diagonal buttresses and 2 side buttresses. Pointed Perpendicular
style 4-light east window and 3-light west window, south side from
right two 4-light windows, door in moulded surround and 3-
light window, all flat-headed with hoodmoulds and much renewed
Interior: moulded segmental pointed tower arch. Nave C19 roof.
Panelled reveals to one north window and, renewed, to south aisle
windows. 3-bay south arcade, 2 bays of 4-centred arches on panelled
octagonal pier and responds, third bay taller panelled opening with
former rood stair breaking east pier. Chancel arch apparently C19,
rising from carved corbels. Exceptional C15 stone screen, part
renewed, with 8 ogee-headed openings, 2 over central ogee arch, 3
each side over quatrefoil panels with carved arms or roses. C19
chancel roof. East window c1889. Numerous C17 and C18 plaques
resited in tower, notably on south wall to J. Wilde died 1702 and
M. Wild died 1734.
Listing NGR: ST8661976362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings