History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gravestones and Graveyard Wall Approximately 50 Metres North of Tetley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Crowle, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5971 / 53°35'49"N

Longitude: -0.8289 / 0°49'44"W

OS Eastings: 477602

OS Northings: 411812

OS Grid: SE776118

Mapcode National: GBR QVNV.B7

Mapcode Global: WHFDZ.7VJ7

Entry Name: Gravestones and Graveyard Wall Approximately 50 Metres North of Tetley Hall

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356163

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165117

Location: Crowle, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Crowle and Ealand

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Crowle St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Crowle

Listing Text

SE 71 SE CROWLE WHARF ROAD
(south-west side, off)
Tetley
3/57 Gravestones and graveyard
wall approximately 50
metres north of Tetley
Hall

GV II

Gravestones and graveyard wall. Early C18 gravestones. C18 - C19 graveyard
wall, perhaps with earlier origins, and later rebuilding and repairs.
Ashlar gravestones, some on brick bases. Dwarf brick wall with ashlar ridge
coping, perhaps reset, enclosing area approximately 8 metres north-south, by
3 metres wide. 5 recumbent rectangular gravestones, in order from north:
1) to Joan, wife of James Stovin, of 1729, with inscription below incised
scrolled round arch. 2) to James Stovin of 1762, with inscription below
roundel containing relief of arms and crest in foliate surround. 3) to
Mary, daughter of George and Sarah Stovin, of 1759, with inscription below
incised round arch. 4) to Sarah, daughter of George and Sarah Stovin, of
1733 with inscription below incised corbelled round arch. 5) finely
inscribed stone of 1724 recording burial of James, George and Sarah Stovin,
with inscription below a roundel containing relief of Stovin crest (a bow
with arrow erect) and incised scrolled round arch. The Stovin family,
Quakers who played a prominent role in the history of the Isle of Axholme,
occupied Tetley Hall in the C17-C18. Further burials may be contained in
the pyramid monument (qv) nearby to the east. W Read, History of the Isle
of Axholme, 1858, p 256.


Listing NGR: SE7760211812

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.