History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Plough Brewery

A Grade II Listed Building in Clapham Town, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4682 / 51°28'5"N

Longitude: -0.1445 / 0°8'40"W

OS Eastings: 528977

OS Northings: 175995

OS Grid: TQ289759

Mapcode National: GBR CW.QV

Mapcode Global: VHGR5.FCY9

Entry Name: The Plough Brewery

Listing Date: 22 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356191

English Heritage Legacy ID: 204768

Location: Lambeth, London, SW8

County: London

District: Lambeth

Electoral Ward/Division: Clapham Town

Built-Up Area: Lambeth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Clapham St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Clapham

Listing Text

WANDSWORTH ROAD SW8
1. (west side)
5023

No 516
('The Plough Brewery') )
TQ 2876 10/1045
TQ 2875 15/1045 22.5.74

II GV

2.
Former Plough Brewery. 1868, built on site of earlier brewery. Now in use as
offices and warehouses but former name reapplied over entrance. Main front of
4 storeys and basement, 3 wide bays with windows grouped 3, 2 and 3 on each floor.
Yellowish brick with stone dressings. Fairly low-pitched hipped slate roof.
Stone cornice above course of diagonal bricks. Sash windows set in deep narrow
recesses running through 2 floors, the upper ones segmental, the lower round-arched
with keystones overlapping second floor band. Some rebuilding at second floor
centre. Central carriage archway has rusticated stone jambs and voussoirs. Modern
doors and radial fanlight. Three-storey and basement right extension with added
modern fourth storey. Thick cast iron area railings, with twist sections, have
square piers with cable mouldings and monogram of brewer, Thomas Woodward, in
heads. Central double and side single gates of same pattern. Four-bay return
to Silverthorne Road, and beyond this a tall one storey wall with arcaded basement
windows; these belong to the undercroft beneath the inner courtyard, a large
groin-vaulted chamber of 5 by 6 aisles, the vaults supported on low, thick round
piers with Romanesque scalloped capitals. Inner courtyard walls remain as do
buildings to west, although the north (stable) building was destroyed by fire.
Within the west building, slender cast iron columns with lotus capitals support
upper floor. Wood framed roof has queen post trusses with raised centres and
bracing struts to principals and centre. In west side of front range a rectangular
stairwell has cantilevered staircase, with twist cast iron balusters and cast
iron handrail, running from ground floor down to sub-basement, which has segmental
and barrel-vaulted passages.
See also entry for outer courtyard walls under Peardon Street.


Listing NGR: TQ2897775995

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.