This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5053 / 53°30'19"N
Longitude: -2.4365 / 2°26'11"W
OS Eastings: 371146
OS Northings: 401045
OS Grid: SD711010
Mapcode National: GBR CWFX.95
Mapcode Global: WH987.J5Z3
Entry Name: Chaddock Hall
Listing Date: 18 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213509
Location: Wigan, M28
Electoral Ward/Division: Astley Mosley Common
Built-Up Area: Tyldesley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Mosley Common St John
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 70 SW,
CHADDOCK LANE (north side),
House. C17 and C18 with C19 alterations. Brick and timber-
framing most of which has been rendered over. Slate roof. T-
shaped 2-storey house with a range added to left probably in
late C18. Four bays, the first is gabled and has two 12-pane
sash windows on the ground floor, a total of three replacement
casements on the upper.floors and an ornate rainwater head
at rear dated 1721. Bay 2 is also gabled and defines the
extent of the timber-framed structure which is largely
intact. It has a C19 canted bay window, a door with
architrave surround and a replaced casement window on first
floor. Both gables have kneelers, copings and finials of
C19. Bays 3 and 4 have a date stone at rear: "T.C. 1698"
(Thomas Chaydock) and an ornate lead rainwater-head dated
"S.C. 1780". Total of three casement windows and a blocked door
in bay 4. Gable chimney stack. A gabled crosswing to right
(forming an H-plan) has long been demolished. C18 and C19
additions to rear.
INTERIOR: the timber-framed structure is
two rooms deep; the central crosswall rises through two storeys,
has diagonal braces and is surmounted by a raised cruck
truss. Also an ogee-arched door lintel. Early 6-panel and
boarded doors throughout. Good plasterwork ceiling and
cornices. Fine early C19 staircase with moulded handrail,
column-on-vase balusters; a cut string and fluted column
newels. Beams, some with broach stops. Right hand room has
fine C17 panelling some with lozenge panels, original beams
and an ovolo-moulded beam taken from Eccles Parish Church.
Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.
Listing NGR: SD7114601045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings