History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Queen Elizabeth Old Grammar School and Adjoining Schoolmaster's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Middleton, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5537 / 53°33'13"N

Longitude: -2.1915 / 2°11'29"W

OS Eastings: 387412

OS Northings: 406354

OS Grid: SD874063

Mapcode National: GBR FW4B.CV

Mapcode Global: WHB93.9YP2

Entry Name: Former Queen Elizabeth Old Grammar School and Adjoining Schoolmaster's House

Listing Date: 15 March 1957

Last Amended: 23 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356228

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213444

Location: Rochdale, M24

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: North Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (Rochdale)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Middleton St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Listing Text

MIDDLETON BOARSHAW ROAD
SD 80 NE (south-east side)
Former Queen
2/4 Elizabeth Old
Grammar School
15/3/57
and adjoining
schoolmaster's
House (formerly
listed as Queen
Elizabeth Old
Grammar School)
- II*
Grammar school and schoolmaster's house. 1586 with house
added between 1835 and 1839. Squared rubble and brick
respectively with graduated stone slate roofs. The hall is
open to the roof except for first floor chambers at each end
which were domestic accommodation for the master and an
usher. Each chamber has a small stair wing which projects at
the rear. The 2-storey master's house adjoins at the rear of
the right stair wing. Near-symmetrical elevation with
central Tudor-arched door, a projecting plinth and stone
quoins. The schoolroom is lit at front and rear by two 5-
light double-chamfered stone mullion and transom windows and
two 4-light mullion windows. The first floor chambers have
smaller 3-light mullion windows. All retain leaded casements
and a hoodmould continues round the entire building. Dressed
stone gable chimney stacks with cornices. 4-light window to
each floor of each gable. The stair wings project and are
gabled, each having a Tudor-arched door. The master's house
has 4 horizontally sliding sashes on 2 elevations and a door
in the rear gable at first floor level. Interior: through
purlins with wind braces supported on collar and tie-beam
roof trusses. A later gallery links the two chambers. The
building is an important early example of a building type
for which there was little architectural precedent.
R.S. Paul and W.J. Smith, A History of Middleton Grammar
School 1412-1964, 1965.


Listing NGR: SD8741206354

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.