This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6496 / 53°38'58"N
Longitude: -2.0828 / 2°4'58"W
OS Eastings: 394624
OS Northings: 417012
OS Grid: SD946170
Mapcode National: GBR FVW7.WG
Mapcode Global: WHB8R.ZJCH
Entry Name: Old Bent House and Bent House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 January 1967
Last Amended: 23 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213362
Location: Rochdale, OL15
Electoral Ward/Division: Littleborough Lakeside
Built-Up Area: Littleborough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Littleborough Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH HALIFAX ROAD
1/28 Old Bent House
and Bent House
2/1/67 as Old Bent House)
House. "IMS 1691" (John and Mary Scott) on door and porch
lintels but with C19 and C20 additions. Hammer-dressed
stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit double-depth
plan with 4 bays and 2 storeys. Quoins and projecting
plinth. Single-storey porch has moulded door surround,
segmental-arched lintel, enriched spandrels and date
inscribed above, and a parapet which forms a crude but
classically derived entablature. Three 6-light ground floor
windows have double-chamfered mullions and hoodmoulds. 4,
4, 2 and 4-light chamfered windows on first floor. Many
windows retain original leaded lights and vertical iron bar.
Coped gables with kneelers. Chimneys have moulded bands.
2, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows and later sash windows to
sides and rear. Later additions to left, later porch to
right and a single storey early C18 addition to rear right.
Interior: the rear right room (kitchen) has a gable-end door
of studded oak with the initials IS carved on it. The room
is sheltered by a plank and muntin screen and as well as a
C17 well cupboard with carved doors and butterfly hinges has
a bolection-moulded fire surround with coved cornice mantel.
First floor cupboard with H-hinges and "MS 1692" carved at
head. A well-preserved house retaining many of its original
fittings. The double-depth plan is of a particularly early
date for the house of yeoman farmer. W.J. Smith, "A Place
in History", Pennine Magazine, Vol.6, No.3.
Listing NGR: SD9462417012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings