This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5189 / 53°31'8"N
Longitude: -2.4812 / 2°28'52"W
OS Eastings: 368188
OS Northings: 402581
OS Grid: SD681025
Mapcode National: GBR CW3R.M8
Mapcode Global: WH980.VTM5
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 18 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213548
Location: Wigan, M46
Electoral Ward/Division: Atherton
Built-Up Area: Atherton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Atherton and Hindsford
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
The following building shall be added:
ATHERTON TYLDESLEY ROAD
SD 60 SE
Church of St Anne
Church, 1899-1901. By Austin and Paley. Thinly-coursed sandstone, graduated
Westmorland slate roof. Orientated north-west/south-east, ritual orientation used
here. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and transept; 2-bay chancel with tower and
vestry against south side. In Gothic Revival style. Nave: gabled porch to right;
offset buttress divides 4 two-light windows with sill bond, hollow-chamfered
surrounds and cusped tracery. Gabled transept has tall 4-light window with
reticulated tracery under pointed arch and hoodmould. North side: 3:4:2 windows
(as south) divided by buttresses. Buttresses flank quadrant-moulded west window of
4 lights under pointed arch and hoodmould; square-headed, 2-light aisle windows.
Coped gable with slit and apex cross. Tower: chamfered plinth, diagonal
buttresses; tall 2-light window with hoodmould, string course beneath short belfry
stage with louvred, square-headed 2-light openings; buttress on right rises as
octagonal turret at corner of embattled parapet; pyramidal roof with weathervane.
Chancel: traceried 3-light windows to each side; large buttresses flank pointed
5-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. Vestry in angle with
tower is gabled to south and has 3-and 2-light windows with sill bond which rises as
hood over shouldered lintel of east doorway.
Interior: Aisles have alternate hexagonal and round piers, double-chamfered arches.
Arch-braced king-post roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Corbelled and ribbed
arch beneath tower. Contemporary pews. Marble font under wooden-spire cover.
Listing NGR: SD6818802581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings