History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4856 / 53°29'8"N

Longitude: -2.6388 / 2°38'19"W

OS Eastings: 357707

OS Northings: 398959

OS Grid: SJ577989

Mapcode National: GBR BX04.H6

Mapcode Global: WH984.FNN6

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213564

Location: Wigan, WN4

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton

Built-Up Area: Ashton-in-Makerfield

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-in-Makerfield St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Haydock

Listing Text

ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD WARRINGTON ROAD
SJ 59 NE
(east side)
11/8 Church of
7.12.66 St. Thomas
II
Church, 1891-3. By Oldham of Manchester. Stone with concrete
tile roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, west tower,
chancel with north organ loft and south and east vestries.
Tower has north and south entrances with weathering and
weathered buttresses above. West 4-light window with
perpendicular tracery. North-west square stair turret.
Louvred bell openings, paired to east and west over 3-face
clock, cornice and embattled parapet with gargoyle to east.
Nave of 3 bays has paired 3-light elliptical-headed aisle
windows between flat buttresses to south, to north are
1:2:2-light windows. Clerestory has straight-headed
traceried windows mostly of 3 lights. South vestry of 2
gabled bays has 3 weathered buttresses and 4-light windows
small gabled porch. Chancel has 7-light east window with low
blind panels, one inscribed "Re-BUILT/1892-3", with a
keystone below dated 1714 from former church. 3-light north
window and lateral stack. East vestry is C20 with 3-light
straight-headed window. Organ loft is gabled, angled to
follow street; 3 straight-headed traceried lights and wheel
window; projection to west has parapet and entrance.
Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers and no
capitals; the springers have shields. Arch-braced king and
queen post roof. Chancel arch is corbelled and has Tudor
flower ornament. Wood pulpit and stalls and panelling to
sanctuary; traceried reredos. North piscina with traceried
straight head. Font is octagonal on shafts and tracery
panels, relief crosses to alternate faces.


Listing NGR: SJ5770798959

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.