History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Alban

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirkdale, Liverpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4239 / 53°25'26"N

Longitude: -2.9957 / 2°59'44"W

OS Eastings: 333931

OS Northings: 392367

OS Grid: SJ339923

Mapcode National: GBR 71G.ZL

Mapcode Global: WH876.Y6NG

Entry Name: Church of St Alban

Listing Date: 19 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356259

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213708

Location: Liverpool, L5

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Kirkdale

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Kirkdale St Athanasius with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Liverpool

Listing Text

SJ 3392 ATHOL STREET
L5

18/104 Church of St.
- Alban

- II


Catholic Church. 1849. Weightman and Hadfield. Stone with
slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel of 7 bays,
aisles with lean-to roofs and SW tower (orientation given
is-conventional: ritual W is actual N). Style of c.1300.
Tower has clasping buttresses. W entrance has 3 orders of-
shafts. Canopied niche containing statue of Virgin and
Child above. Bell stage has 2-light plate tracery openings.
Corbelled parapet with battlements. Nave has 4-light
clerestory windows. N aisle has deep moulds with carved
stops. W entrance has shallow porch and dog-tooth moulding.
Interior: 7-bay double-chamfered arcade on round piers.
Waggon roof, panelled over l-bay chancel. Chancel and
flanking chapels have alabaster altars and reredoses;
continuous altar rail. Octagonal alabaster pulpit has
traceried sides. Small side chapel at W end of S aisle has
alabaster altar and reredos. Wooden W gallery with
arcaded balcony and canted projection. Some C19 stained
glass at E end.


Listing NGR: SJ3393192367

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.