History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Derby, Liverpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4334 / 53°26'0"N

Longitude: -2.9087 / 2°54'31"W

OS Eastings: 339723

OS Northings: 393346

OS Grid: SJ397933

Mapcode National: GBR 7NC.R6

Mapcode Global: WH872.9Y4Q

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary

Listing Date: 12 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213670

Location: Liverpool, L12

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: West Derby

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: West Derby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
West Derby

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/01/2016


SJ 3993
17/78

WEST DERBY,
Meadow Lane,
Church of Saint Mary

(Formerly listed as: ALMONDS GREEN (east side) L12, Church of Saint Mary)

12.07.66

G.V.

II*

Church. 1853-56. Sir George Gilbert Scott. Stone with slate
roofs. 5-bay nave with aisles under lean-to roofs and north
and south porches. Transepts and crossing tower. 3-bay
chancel and north and south chapels; vestry on south side.
Geometrical style. West entrance of 2 orders with window
above of 4 lights, aisle west windows of 2 lights. Aisles
have cornice and parapet, windows of 3 lights and stone
rainwater heads in the form of beasts; offset buttresses.
Clerestory has 2-light windows. Porch, entrance of 2
orders, sides have quatrefoil and trefoil openings (north
porch blocked, 1984). North transept has 4-light north
window, spherical triangle windows to east and west; canted
stair turret with pinnacle to west. Tower of 2 stages has
octagonal angle turrets with crocketed pinnacles. Lower
stage has 5-bay blind arcade with cusped arches with frieze
of quatrefoils and embattled parapet over. Upper stage has
paired 2-light bell openings with canopied niche above,
Lombard frieze and pierced parapet. Chancel has apsidal
end, 2-light windows and Lombard frieze. Chapels have 3-
light east window and 2-light side windows. North Chapel
windows blocked (1984). Vestry has windows of 2 and 3
cusped lights an parapet. South transept, three 2-light
windows with chamfered buttresses below and rose above.

INTERIOR has arcades with round columns, wall shafts and
scissor-braced roofs. Crossing with clustered shafts and
triforium with 2-light traceried openings; flat ceiling over.
Chancel has 2-bay arcade on quatrefoil piers to south
chapel, organ loft to north. Octagonal font has traceried
canopy. Pulpit, choir stalls, chancel panelling and screen
and reredos at south chapel by J. O. Scott, 1906. Stained
glass mostly by Hardman. Of particular note is the fine
carving of the arcade capitals. One of Sir Gilbert Scott's
better works, with a particularly good interior. (Sundial
from previous church set on south wall and dated 1793.)


Listing NGR: SJ3972393346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.