This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3999 / 53°23'59"N
Longitude: -2.9704 / 2°58'13"W
OS Eastings: 335572
OS Northings: 389669
OS Grid: SJ355896
Mapcode National: GBR 77R.F6
Mapcode Global: WH877.BSRY
Entry Name: Blackburne House
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Last Amended: 19 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356293
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213764
Location: Liverpool, L8
Electoral Ward/Division: Princes Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: St Luke in the City Team
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/05/2015
SJ 3589 NE
BLACKBURNE PLACE L8
No.1, Blackburne House
(Formerly listed as Liverpool Institute High School for Girls, BLACKBURNE PLACE, previously listed as Liverpool Institute High School for Girls (original house only))
Former school, part originally house 1785-90 enlarged 1874-76. Brick with stone dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys with basement and attic, 7 bays. Sill bands top cornice and blocking course. Ground floor has tripartite windows with colonnettes, pilasters and tympana with foliage and busts. 2nd and 6th bays have 2-storey canted bays with architraved windows with entablature above. Central bay projects, ground floor rusticated, round-headed entrance flanked by paired composite columns supporting entablature and pierced balcony to 1st floor. 1st floor windows have panelled pilasters,
consoled entablatures and pediments, canted bays have central segmental pediments. Central bay has rusticated quoins and tripartite window with tympanum. 2nd and 6th bays have gables with paired round-headed windows. Central bay has flat pilastrade and 3 round-headed windows, segmental pediment; domical roof with clock and iron cresting. Entrance hall has modillioned cornice, Corinthian stair screen with granite columns. Stair has coved ceiling with rich plaster decoration and octagonal roof light. Right return to street is original house, 4 bays with portico of 4 Ionic columns to double stairway. Sash windows, with flat brick arches.
Listing NGR: SJ3557289669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings