This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3851 / 53°23'6"N
Longitude: -2.9269 / 2°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 338443
OS Northings: 387979
OS Grid: SJ384879
Mapcode National: GBR 7JX.TJ
Mapcode Global: WH87G.05HS
Entry Name: University Hostel and Greenbank House
Listing Date: 28 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 214209
Location: Liverpool, L17
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenbank
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Mossley Hill St Matthew and St James
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
Includes: GREENBANK HOUSE, GREENBANK LANE
House. c.1787 or earlier, remodelled and extended 1812-1816,further extended late C19 and altered again to the designs of Quentin Hughes for the University of Liverpool in 1963. Regularly coursed sandstone blocks, horizontally channelled, with ashlar sandstone dressings, cast iron verandah and canopy, all beneath a hipped slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 x 4 bays. Cornice over ground floor; 1st floor string course; top cornice. Projecting central bay flanked by ground floor canted bay windows with stepped parapets and pointed lights, with diamond panes throughout. 1st floor has 3-light pointed windows with cornices. Central bay has pointed chamfered arch with flanking niche, with panels over. Traceried balcony to 1st floor.loggia with triple arches, traceried spandrels. Arched entrances to both floors. Left return has 2-storey
iron verandah, c.1815; the windows behind have label moulds, casements to ground floor, sashes to lst floor, all with pointed lights. Later brick service wings to street with bow windows and sashes (windows renewed). Round stair turret at rear (facing road), with belfry and spirelet. Long stone corridor/porch with pointed arched windows.
INTERIOR: Much original fabric survives, including a plaster vaulted entrance passage with muchette wheel traceried boss, and gothic staircase with cast-iron balusters and a moulded handrail. In the principal rooms, gothic and classical chimneypieces have been retained, together with gothic shutter boxes and decorative plaster cornices.
HISTORY: The house was leased by the Earl of Sefton to William Rathbone, merchant and ship owner, who subsequently purchased the property c.1787. Hannah Rathbone, grandaughter of Abraham Darby of Coalbrookdale had the house altered and extended c.1812-1816, a remodelling which included both external and internal cast-iron components. The property was given to Liverpool University in 1936.
Listing NGR: SJ3844387979
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.