History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint John

A Grade II Listed Building in Failsworth East, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5117 / 53°30'42"N

Longitude: -2.1545 / 2°9'16"W

OS Eastings: 389850

OS Northings: 401682

OS Grid: SD898016

Mapcode National: GBR FWDT.CW

Mapcode Global: WHB99.WZ6Q

Entry Name: Church of Saint John

Listing Date: 24 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212444

Location: Oldham, M35

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Failsworth East

Built-Up Area: Failsworth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Failsworth St John

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Hollinwood

Listing Text

SD 80 SE FAILSWORTH OLDHAM ROAD
(south side)
6/40 Church of
24/3/66 St. John
G.V. II
Church. 1845-6. E. H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners.
Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory
and aisles; west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber
and vestry. 6-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth,
sill band and corbelled eaves.Each bay has a weathered
buttress and paired lancet windows under a continuous
hoodmould. Spherical triangle clerestory lights. Gabled
north porch. 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses,
door in first stage, 2-light plate tracery window on second
stage, clock faces with elaborate gabled surrounds on the
third stage, 2-light belfry openings, and a broach spire
with gabled lucarnes above a dogtooth-enriched band with
corner gargoyles. 2-bay chancel with 3-lancet east window.
Interior: nave arcade with clustered columns having moulded
capitals and bases. Arch-braced roof trusses on columnar
corbels with carved heads. Arcaded parapet to west gallery
supported on cast-iron columns and now accommodating the
organ. Stained glass and timber fittings. Rev. R. Loxham,
Illustrations of churches, vol. 4, 1846-55.


Listing NGR: SD8985001682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.