This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5385 / 53°32'18"N
Longitude: -2.1607 / 2°9'38"W
OS Eastings: 389444
OS Northings: 404665
OS Grid: SD894046
Mapcode National: GBR FWCJ.08
Mapcode Global: WHB99.SB84
Entry Name: Foxdenton Hall
Listing Date: 30 May 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356429
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212409
Location: Oldham, M24
Metropolitan District Ward: Chadderton Central
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Middleton Junction St Gabriel
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 80 SE CHADDERTON FOXDENTON LANE
6/6 Foxdenton Hall
House. Between 1710 and 1730 for Alexander Radclyffe but on
a basement which reuses features and stonework from a
building of 1620 for William Radclyffe. English garden wall
bond brick, stone basement and quoins and graduated stone
slate roof. U-shaped plan of 2 storeys (plus basement).
Anglo-classical style. 3 bays with 2-bay wings projecting on
either side. Stone basement with 2-light double-chamfered
stone mullion windows and former door lintel inscribed
"WR1620". Rusticated quoins. Bold modillion eaves cornice
which breaks forward at the central bay both front and rear.
Steep hipped roof with two large rebuilt ridge chimney
stacks. Central entrances to front and rear have panelled
doors, moulded surrounds and pediments on enriched brackets.
6 ground floor and 7 first floor windows to both front and
rear have slightly recessed 28-pane sash windows (many of
which have been replaced by copies). Only one of the 3
original dormer windows exists on the rear roof. Interior:
central room with large bolection-moulded fire surround
gives access to parlour in west wing and stair and kitchen
in east wing. The oak stair has a deep moulded handrail and
turned balusters on a closed string and square newels with
sunk panels. Wall panelling in entrance hall of 1620 and
elsewhere of 1700. Oak ceiling beams. C18 fire places. A
dignified early Georgian house, particularly rare in this
part of the country. C.P. Hampson, The Book of the
Radclyffes. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1911,
Vol. 5. - - -
Listing NGR: SD8944404665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings