History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Shaw and Crompton, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5753 / 53°34'31"N

Longitude: -2.0993 / 2°5'57"W

OS Eastings: 393523

OS Northings: 408750

OS Grid: SD935087

Mapcode National: GBR FWS3.92

Mapcode Global: WHB94.QDJF

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church

Listing Date: 6 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356432

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212417

Location: Shaw and Crompton, Oldham, OL2

County: Oldham

Civil Parish: Shaw and Crompton

Built-Up Area: Shaw (Oldham)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Shaw Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Shaw

Listing Text

SD 90 NW CROMPTON CHURCH ROAD
(west side)
4/13 Holy Trinity
Church
G.V. II
Church. 1870-71. By J. Drew. Rock-faced stone with slate
roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles, crossing tower and
chancel with side chapels and vestry. 4-bay nave has
projecting plinth and weathered buttresses. Each bay has a
3-light window and the porch is incorporated into the west
end of the aisle. Bold tower with octagonal corner stair
turret, clock faces, two 2-light openings to each side of
the belfry and a pyramidal roof (rather than the intended
spire). Gabled south transept with rose window. 5-light east
window with Decorated tracery. The juxtaposition of the
various roofs around the tower results in a pleasing
picturesque quality. Interior: circular columns with
moulded capitals and bases support the double-chamfered nave
arcade. Arch-braced and scissor-braced roof trusses. Timber
fittings, wrought-iron screens, wall paintings, font and
pulpit, mosaic reredos and stained glass. A church has
existed on the site since 1515.


Listing NGR: SD9352308750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.