History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longdendale, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4544 / 53°27'15"N

Longitude: -2.01 / 2°0'36"W

OS Eastings: 399431

OS Northings: 395293

OS Grid: SJ994952

Mapcode National: GBR GXDH.MF

Mapcode Global: WHB9S.3F3M

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212546

Location: Tameside, SK14

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Longdendale

Built-Up Area: Glossop

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Mottram-in-Longdendale St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Mottram

Listing Text

SJ 99 NE LONGDENDALE WAR HILL

4/86 Church of
St. Michael and
1.11.66 All Angels

G.V. II*

Church. C15, the tower of c.1486. The interior, vestry and
clerestory by Shellard 1854. Hammer-dressed stone with
ashlar clerestory and graduated stone slate roof. Nave with
aisles, aisle chapels, south porch and west tower. Chancel
and north vestry. Perpendicular style. 6 bay aisle (and
chapel) with porch in bay 2. Weathered plinth and
castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress and
stepped 3-light window with cusped head and dripmould which
is terminated in carved heads. The porch has a 4-centred
arch opening, angled buttresses and castellation. 6-bay
clerestory with windows of a similar design. 4-stage tower
with angled weathered buttresses, stone bands,castellated
parapet and crocketed corner finials. 3-light west window
with Perpendicular tracery, clock face above and 2-light
belfry openings. Stair turret in one corner. 2-bay chancel
with 5-light transomed Perpendicular-style east window and
vestry to north. Interior: nave arcade on octagonal columns
with moulded heads. Braced tie-beam nave roof and arch-
braced chancel trusses which are supported on enriched
corbels. High Victorian alabaster pulpit by H. Hems (1885).
Former painted reredos above chancel arch. Chandelier
(1755). Stained glass. Barrel-shaped stone font.Monuments:
2 early C15 recumbent stone effigies in Staveleigh chapel
(south). Reginald Bretland (1703), semi-reclining figure on
supporting plinth with latin text. Also inscribed slab to
John Pycton, rector (1517) - defaced and no longer visible.
A well positioned church which retains much of its Medieval
character externally and dominates the skyline for miles
around.


Listing NGR: SJ9943195293

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.