History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Albion Congregational Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in St Peter's, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4877 / 53°29'15"N

Longitude: -2.087 / 2°5'13"W

OS Eastings: 394326

OS Northings: 399003

OS Grid: SJ943990

Mapcode National: GBR FXV3.ZG

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.XLCL

Entry Name: Albion Congregational Church

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212686

Location: Tameside, OL6

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE STAMFORD STREET EAST
SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/37 Albion
Congregational
12/01/67 Church

II*

Church. 1890-95. By John Brooke. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisle passages, clerestory, transepts, north-west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber and vestry. Gothic revival in a Decorated style. 8-bay nave (5-bay aisles) with weathered plinth and weathered flying buttresses which terminate in gabled pinnacles above the coped parapet. 3-light aisle windows and tall paired 2-light transomed clerestory lights all with flat traceried head. 5-light transept windows and 7-light west and east windows all with curvilinear tracery and below raked parapets. 2-bay chancel. Elaborate fleche. 4-stage tower with set-back weathered and gableted buttresses, arched doorway, cusped lancet windows, 3-light transomed third stage window and clock-faces in front of blind arcading in the fourth stage. The spire has lucarnes and is set back behind a parapet and corner pinnacles.
INTERIOR: ashlar red sandstone facing throughout. Narthex below gallery. Moulded nave arcade on octagonal columns with foliated capitals and moulded bases. The lofty nave is roofed by trusses with angelic hammer beams which spring from carved corbels. Timberwork includes pulpit with sounding board, pews, stalls, organ case and chancel panelling. Stained glass transepts and east window by Morris and Co. Organ of 1894 by T. C. Lewis, rebuilt 1954. Reredos is a tiled memorial to both World Wars first installed 1921 by Pilkingtons. Memorial plaques to Hugh and Betsy Mason.

Listing NGR: SJ9432699003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.