History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Huddersfield Narrow Canal Stakes Aqueduct and Tow Path Bridge (Aqueduct Bridge) over River Tame

A Grade II Listed Building in Dukinfield Stalybridge, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4808 / 53°28'50"N

Longitude: -2.0703 / 2°4'12"W

OS Eastings: 395434

OS Northings: 398233

OS Grid: SJ954982

Mapcode National: GBR FXZ5.LY

Mapcode Global: WHB9K.5RFX

Entry Name: Huddersfield Narrow Canal Stakes Aqueduct and Tow Path Bridge (Aqueduct Bridge) over River Tame

Listing Date: 6 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212605

Location: Tameside, SK15

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Dukinfield Stalybridge

Built-Up Area: Stalybridge

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stalybridge Holy Trinity and Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

SJ 99 NE STALYBRIDGE HUDDERSFIELD NARROW
CANAL

4/144 Stakes Aqueduct
and tow-path
bridge
(Aqueduct
Bridge) over
- River Tame

- II

Aqueduct and tow-path bridge. 1800. Benjamin Outram
engineer, designedand cast at Butterley Iron Works. Cast
iron and dressed stone respectively. Cast iron trough
aqueduct flanked by a hump-backed tow-path bridge. The
aqueduct was fabricated in situ out of rectangular cast iron
sections which are bolted together. Each section has a large
tension flange, a small compression flange, and webbed side
flanges. Each end has stop plank housings. Remedial measures
which involved using the stone arch of the tow-path bridge
to support the aqueduct mid-span date from 1875. The tow-
path bridge has an elliptical arch, a stone band and a hump-
backed parapet with round-topped copings which has half been
rebuilt with a level parapet. A built-in mile stone records
"191 miles" and a bench mark. The aqueduct replaced the
original stone aqueduct of 1795 and is amongst the earliest
iron trough aqueducts in Britain. Transactions of the
Newcomen Society, Vol. 53 1981-2 pp 17-38.


Listing NGR: SJ9543498233

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.