History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowdon Downs Church, Schoolroom and Lecture Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bowdon, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3827 / 53°22'57"N

Longitude: -2.3589 / 2°21'32"W

OS Eastings: 376221

OS Northings: 387373

OS Grid: SJ762873

Mapcode National: GBR CYZB.34

Mapcode Global: WH98V.Q7WM

Entry Name: Bowdon Downs Church, Schoolroom and Lecture Hall

Listing Date: 24 October 1974

Last Amended: 12 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356476

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212753

Location: Trafford, WA14

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Bowdon

Built-Up Area: Altrincham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bowdon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Altrincham

Listing Text

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM BOWDON ROAD
(south-west side)

7/1 Bowdon Downs
Church, schoolroom
and lecture hall
(formerly listed
as Bowdon Downs
Congregational
24.10.74 Church With attached buildings
including School and Lecture
- II Hall)

Congregational chapel now Pentecostal church. 1847,
transepts and galleries added 1868, lecture hall added 1882,
porch added c.1920. Dressed sandstone and Westmorland slate
roof. Wide nave with (ritual) north, south and west
porches, west gallery, transepts each with gallery,
schoolroom and vestry. The lecture hall and ancillary rooms
extended along Bowdon Road. Elaborate west porch with
pointed doorway and gable. Above is a 5-light Perpendicular
style window under enriched ogee dripmould flanked by small
canopied empty statue niches and a coped gable with ornate
finial. 6-bay nave with plinth, moulded eaves and steep
roof. Each bay has gableted weathered buttesses and 2-light
window. Porch in bay 2. Transepts which are as high as the
nave are treated similarly to the east end with 2 2-light
windows on the lower level, a rose window in an enriched
arched surround at the higher level and coped gables with
kneelers incorporating grotesque beasts. The lecture hall
etc. is of 8 bays, 1 storey and is picturesquely composed
with 3 coped gables, a chimney stack with 3 octagonal
shafts, weathered buttresses, cusped windows and a tall
fleche to the lecture hall roof. Interior: west doors with
iron daisy motif lattice. Traceried timber screens. 2-bay
transepts with coupled intermediate columns with foliated
heads. Arch-braced hammer beam roof. Carved frieze behind
central octagonal stone pulpit designed for, but rejected by
Queen Victoria. Marble statue of Mary and Martha in memory
of Jesse Haworth 1930. Good stained glass throughout
including lecture hall.


Listing NGR: SJ7622187373

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.