This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5206 / 51°31'14"N
Longitude: -0.0677 / 0°4'3"W
OS Eastings: 534158
OS Northings: 181954
OS Grid: TQ341819
Mapcode National: GBR X9.X2
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.S11N
Entry Name: Albert Cottages
Listing Date: 27 September 1973
Last Amended: 3 December 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205921
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Spitalfields & Banglatown
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Spitalfields
Church of England Diocese: London
788/15/470 DEAL STREET
27-SEP-73 (West side)
(Formerly listed as:
DEAL STREET E1
Albert Cottages. 19-26 Albert Cottages. Artisans' dwellings. 1858 for the Metropolitan Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes. Probably designed by Henry Roberts (1803-1876). Row of none houses, formerly each sub-divided into two units.
PLAN: recatangular plots with wings to the rear, originally comprising three rooms per floor with sanitary facilities; set back behind small gardens, off a paved forecourt.
EXTERIORS: yellow stock brick with red brick door and window surrounds, slate roofs. Each house is two windows wide at the upper floor. Double doors to the ground floor now adapted to single dewelling use. Modern replacement casement windows in place of original sash windows.
INTERIORS: not inspected, believed to be considerably altered.
HISTORY: the Metropolitan Association purchased the site of Victoria [q.v.] and Albert Cottages in 1850: Albert Cottages were built on the site of the late Georgian Pelham Street, which was demolished in 1857. These small cottages, of a kind more commonly found in the north of England, were intended for small artisan families who were unable to pay the higher rents of the larger family units in those dwellings that were beginning to be built by philanthropic housing bodies at this time. Their low-rise density was critized by their own architect, no less, at the time of construction but they now afford a rare insight into the sort of cottage accommodation once common, now scarce, in the East End. The houses were extensively modernised by the Newlon Housing Trust in the late 1970s. The row opposite, to the south, formed part of the same development but the houses have had their doors moved from the front to the back and are not listed. The houses were illustrated in the 1867 edition of Henry Roberts's 'The Dwellings of the Labouring Classes'.
SOURCES: J.M. Tarn, 'Five Per cent Philanthropy' (Cambridge 1973), 26-27; James Stevens Curl, 'The Life and Work of Henry Roberts' (Chichester 1983), 114-115, 196-197.
Listing NGR: TQ3415881954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings