This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5355 / 53°32'7"N
Longitude: -2.024 / 2°1'26"W
OS Eastings: 398507
OS Northings: 404316
OS Grid: SD985043
Mapcode National: GBR GW9K.MB
Mapcode Global: WHB9C.WDCG
Entry Name: Christ Church, Friezland
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212061
Location: Saddleworth, Oldham, OL3
Civil Parish: Saddleworth
Built-Up Area: Uppermill
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Friezeland Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SADDLEWORTH CHURCH ROAD
SD 90 SE (north side)
5/51 Christ Church,
Church. c.1850 with additions of 1860 s. By George Shaw.
Snecked stone with slate roof. Nave and chancel with north-
west tower, south transept, north aisle, organ chamber and
vestry all of later dates. Gothic revival. The nave has a
projecting plinth, weathered buttresses (angled at corners)
and 2-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds.
Porch in bay 2 with weathered clasping buttresses, coped
gable and finial. The south transept which was formerly
galleried has an external flight of steps and 5-light south
window. The north aisle has 2 and 3-light windows and 2
gables to its eastern extreme. A clerestory was added when
the aisle was built. Chancel with 3-light east window. Coped
gables with finials. The 3-stage tower has diagonal
buttresses, a weathered plinth, a shouldered first stage
window, a cusped lancet window on the second, two cusped
lancet belfry openings and a broach spire. Interior: low
alternating octagonal and circular columns with moulded
capitals support chamfered arches in the north arcade. Arch-
braced roof trusses. Carved timber fittings include pulpit,
poppy-head choir stalls, reredos and chancel panelling.
Heraldic coat of arms above door.
Listing NGR: SD9850704316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings