History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Katharine

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackrod, Bolton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5947 / 53°35'41"N

Longitude: -2.5859 / 2°35'9"W

OS Eastings: 361318

OS Northings: 411065

OS Grid: SD613110

Mapcode National: GBR BVCW.Y3

Mapcode Global: WH97L.7XW2

Entry Name: Church of St Katharine

Listing Date: 8 August 1966

Last Amended: 19 August 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356779

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210486

Location: Blackrod, Bolton, BL6

County: Bolton

Civil Parish: Blackrod

Built-Up Area: Blackrod

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Blackrod St Katharine

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Horwich

Listing Text

SD 61 SW,
3/5

BLACKROD,
BLACK HORSE STREET (north side),
Church of St. Katharine

(formerly listed under Church Street)

08/08/66

II

Church. Lowest stage of tower early C16, 2nd stage has
date stones, one to window sill inscribed: "MT 1638/NT", one
to external steps dated 1647. 3rd stage C18, top has date
1837 to pinnacles. Nave, chancel and north aisle, 1909-11,
by R. B. Preston. Stone rubble tower with ashlar dressings,
the rest of rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate
roof. Tower has diagonal buttresses. 4-light late
Perpendicular west window with 2 transoms with weathering
above. 2-light straight-headed window to 2nd stage. 3rd
stage has paired pointed bell openings with stone louvres.
Top has 4-face clock and plain battlements and pinnacles.
Rectangular stair turret and external steps to door to
north. 4-bay nave has sill course and weathered buttresses
and 3:2:3:3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. North
vestry of gabled bay and flanking lean-to bays. 3-bay
chancel has 3-light east window and south windows of 2 and 3
lights. 5-bay gabled aisle has gabled porch with traceried
apex to gable and entrance of one order; windows of
alternate 2 and 3 lights. 3-light east and west windows.
Next to porch is font; square base dated 1775, baluster and
bell-shaped bowl. Interior: 5-bay arcade on octagonal
piers. Segmental pointed arch to tower with window over of
2 round-headed lights. Walls of tower panelled with old pew
doors with name plates. 3 charity boards. Chancel has
altar and reredos with painted low relief panels. Aisle has
early C19 boards with commandments, creed and Lord's Prayer,
arches and crocketed finials.


Listing NGR: SD6131811065

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.