History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Kearsley, Bolton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5486 / 53°32'54"N

Longitude: -2.3879 / 2°23'16"W

OS Eastings: 374396

OS Northings: 405844

OS Grid: SD743058

Mapcode National: GBR CWRD.TN

Mapcode Global: WH982.925D

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 31 May 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210515

Location: Bolton, BL4

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Kearsley

Built-Up Area: Farnworth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Farnworth and Kearsley

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Radcliffe

Listing Text

KEARSLEY CHURCH STREET
SD 70 NW (east end)
Farnworth

9/34 Church of
St. John the
31/5/66 Evangelist

G.V. II

Church. 1826, chancel 1871. Stone with slate roof. Nave,
west tower and chancel, south vestry and north organ loft. 5-
bay nave has sill course, and 2-light windows, most with
segmental transoms, between weathered buttresses; top cornice
and parapet. Tower has octagonal turrets and string courses.
Pointed entrance with timber fanlight; 2-light window louvred
bell-openings. Cornice and embattled parapet; turrets project
above parapet, originally capped with pinnacles. Flanking
porches have 2-light straight-headed windows with transoms,
canted angles and north and south entrances. 3-bay chancel
has 5-light east window and high 2-light north and south
windows. Vestry has 2-light windows flanking entrance with
shouldered lintel. Organ loft similar to vestry. Interior:
Nave has 3 galleries on octagonal columns; pointed arcading to
fronts. Flat ceiling has ribs and bosses. Octagonal font has
moulded shaft and panelled sides. Arms of George I to west
gallery. Chancel has king and queen post roof; 2-bay arcades
with quatrefoil columns to organ loft and vestry. Stalls have
elaborate timber fronts. Pulpit, 1907, timber on stone
quatrefoil column. Parclose screen to vestry, which projects
into nave. Panelled east wall with cresting. Good C19
stained glass to east and south.


Listing NGR: SD7439605844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.