History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Higher House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ramsbottom, Bury

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6462 / 53°38'46"N

Longitude: -2.3315 / 2°19'53"W

OS Eastings: 378184

OS Northings: 416682

OS Grid: SD781166

Mapcode National: GBR DV58.1P

Mapcode Global: WH97J.5M13

Entry Name: Higher House

Listing Date: 29 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356810

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210705

Location: Bury, BL8

County: Bury

Electoral Ward/Division: Ramsbottom

Built-Up Area: Ramsbottom

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Holcombe and Hawkshaw

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 71 NE,
3/150

MOOR ROAD,
Higher House

GV

II

Early C18. Coursed rubble. Flush quoins. Symmetrical. 2½ storeys. Doorway has
moulded architrave and pulvinated frieze. Castellated, evidently C19 porch. Each
side is a large transom and mullioned window with a total of twelve lights and dripmould
(the left-hand one with leading to upper lights). Above each is a 5-light window
with dripmould. Above porch is a round-arched window, with keystone, impost mouldings
and narrow mullion and transom. Stone eaves gutter. Five casement dormers with hipped
roofs set in stone slab roof. Tall gable chimneys. Slightly lower 2-storey extension
to right is dated "John and Mary/Roster(on(/1820". Beyond is still lower extension,
probably of similar date. Both are similar in build to earlier house, but have tall
square-mullioned windows of two and three lights (later C20 metal casements replacing
mullions in hither extension and a metal balcony, also perhaps C20, fronting the upper
window). Until 1884 the house was the White Hart Inn. Known as Higher House in
distinction to Shoulder of Mutton PH (known as Lower House), with which it shared
disorderly reputation c.1800.


Listing NGR: SD7818416682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.