This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6447 / 53°38'41"N
Longitude: -2.3177 / 2°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 379094
OS Northings: 416517
OS Grid: SD790165
Mapcode National: GBR DV89.06
Mapcode Global: WH97J.CNK7
Entry Name: Barwood House
Listing Date: 29 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210647
Location: Bury, BL0
Electoral Ward/Division: Ramsbottom
Built-Up Area: Ramsbottom
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ramsbottom St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 71 NE GRANTS LANE
3/130 Barwood Lea
Nos 15, 17 and 19 (Barwood House)
Built for Henry Kay, calico printer, in 1780s. Owned 1819-25 by Charles Grant,
recognised with his borthers as originals of Dickens's Cheryble brothers. As prosperous
businessmen, they had great influence on Ramsbottom area. Sandstone rubble.
Two storeys. Symmetrical. Five sash windows, variously altered. Segmental-headed doorway
with broad shallow porch on two columns. Hipped slate roof. Return wing to right
is also 5-bay, and similar but later. House divided in three in C20. Interior is
on grand scale and retains many original features and much plasterwork and decoration.
Listing NGR: SD7909416517
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.