This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5947 / 53°35'40"N
Longitude: -2.2967 / 2°17'48"W
OS Eastings: 380459
OS Northings: 410940
OS Grid: SD804109
Mapcode National: GBR DVDW.K4
Mapcode Global: WH97Q.PXJ4
Entry Name: Church Rooms
Listing Date: 29 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210750
Location: Bury, BL9
Electoral Ward/Division: East
Built-Up Area: Bury
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 8010 NW THE WYLDE
- Church Rooms
L-shaped and single-storey, one wing being of 1786 in classical style; the other of
1864 in Gothic style. 1786 wing is of Ashlar and has 6 regular round-arched
bays to main inner front, the left-hand arch being the doorway (with plain fan),
the other windows, with altered glazing. Impost band. Cornice and blocking
course. End of wing has large recessed arch flanked by pairs of blind windows.
Rear has pediment to blocking course. This wing modified in 1861. 1864 wing
is shorter and of snecked rubble. The main inner front has 4 3-light mullion
and transom windows with cusped pointed heads; buttresses between. Steep slate
roof with tall hexagonal chimney on each coped gable. This wing is included
for group value with 1786 wing and with church. The rooms were formerly the
Grammar School, founded on this site c.1620.
Listing NGR: SD8045910940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.