This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4129 / 53°24'46"N
Longitude: -2.1988 / 2°11'55"W
OS Eastings: 386884
OS Northings: 390698
OS Grid: SJ868906
Mapcode National: GBR FX2Z.R8
Mapcode Global: WHB9W.6G7X
Entry Name: 1 and 3, Highfield Park
Listing Date: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210894
Location: Stockport, SK4
Electoral Ward/Division: Heatons South
Built-Up Area: Stockport
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Heaton Mersey St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
1. HIGHFIELD PARK
5086 (east side)
17/190 Nos. 1 and 3
House now 2 dwellings. c 1830, altered late C19, subdivided c 1928. Stuccoed
brick, graduated Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with cellars, 5 bays with 1-storey,
l-bay addition to front left and 2-storey, 3-bay wing to rear right. Bay 3 is
narrow, recessed and has original porch with part-glazed double door and cusped-
tracery fanlight beneath chamfered Tudor arch with headmould; embattled parapet
rising to peak over door. Across bays 4 and 5 is a canted, 1-storey bay window
having large 4-pane sashes with hoodmoulds; blank shield to parapet as porch.
To bays 1 and 2 are later, rectangular bay windows having casements with transoms
and flat roofs. 1st floor: blocks to projecting sills of tall paired sashes
with margin-glazed, Tudor-arched lights; bay 3 has later casement; windows of
bays 3 and 4 have hoodmoulds and are set beneath gables with applied studding
and plain bargeboards. Altered brick stacks to left end, to near-centre of
ridge and behind ridge on right. C20 addition to left of main range has 4-light
transom window and parapet as main porch. Right return: gabled main range;
windows as front. Wing set back on right has 1-storey rectangular bay window
with shield beneath parapet as porch.
Interior: Main ground-floor rooms of No. 1 have floral-tile insets to cast-iron
fireplaces in Gothic-style marble surrounds (the left room has later mahogany
overmantel); both bay windows have stained-glass transom lights and both rooms
have moulded plaster ceilings with geometric design incorporating fleur-de-lys
and fruiting vines. The 1-storey addition has an Edwardian chimneypiece and dado
panelling said to be from a former, detached billiard room to rear of the house.
1st floor: patent, Edwardian bath/shower compartment; mid C19 cast-iron/tile
fireplaces in marble surrounds. No. 3: part-glazed, panelled inner porch doors
have Tudor-arched lights and painted-glass Gothick fanlight. Front-right room
has enriched cornice; room to rear wing has moulded plaster ceiling with clustered-
heart motifs. Staircase and landing balustrade of cusped, cast-iron panels to
wooden handrail; Tudor arches off landing lit by painted-glass lantern.
Highfield House, as it was known, has James Pritchard as its first recorded
occupant; he was succeeded by Samuel Lamb in 1832 then members of the Marsland
family from 1847 (Eaton p.18). The house is clearly shown in an established
setting on the 1848 Tithe Map; it then occupied a fashionable, elevated site
overlooking the Mersey Valley.
J Eaton, 'Heaton Mersey 1188 to 1981', typescript in Stockport Central Library.
Listing NGR: SJ8688490698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings