This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.438 / 53°26'16"N
Longitude: -2.1633 / 2°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 389249
OS Northings: 393476
OS Grid: SJ892934
Mapcode National: GBR FXBP.G9
Mapcode Global: WHB9P.RV18
Entry Name: Church of St Elisabeth
Listing Date: 30 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210822
Location: Stockport, SK5
Metropolitan District Ward: Reddish North
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Reddish St Elisabeth
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
701/13/115 LEAMINGTON ROAD
CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH
Church. 1882-3, by Alfred Waterhouse. Red brick with stone bands and dressings, clay tile roof and lead spire. Apsidal chancel with Lady Chapel to south and vestry to north; 4-bay nave and aisles with tower incorporating porch at east and main porch at west end of south aisle; Houldsworth Chapel projects from centre of north aisle. Tower has octagonal roof with pyramidal pinnacles to corners.
Interior: polychromatic brick and stone, the arcade supported by polished Aberdeen granite piers, the chancel having a brick vault and the nave a timber panelled barrel vault with tiebeams. The walls of the apse are lined with mosaic made by Burke & Co; floor tiles by Godwin of Hereford; rood screen, reredos, font and other decorative carving by Thomas Earp; ironwork including the fine pulpit by Robert Jones of Cheetham; stained glass in the clerestory and triplet at the east end of the north aisle by Heaton, Butler & Bayne to the designs of Frederick Shields. The organ is by Hill, and the church still retains its original choir stalls and benches in the nave. The fittings in this church are of the finest quality and those listed above were all carried out under the direction of the architect. A late C20 addition is a set of painted Stations of the Cross by Graeme Willson.
This is Waterhouse's best church and remarkably well preserved. It was built by Sir William Houldsworth as part of the development of his industrial community.
See also the Men's Club and Rectory and School, Liverpool Street.
Listing NGR: SJ8924793475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings