This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3076 / 52°18'27"N
Longitude: -1.0227 / 1°1'21"W
OS Eastings: 466730
OS Northings: 268166
OS Grid: SP667681
Mapcode National: GBR 9T0.69D
Mapcode Global: VHDRQ.786C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360132
Location: East Haddon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: East Haddon
Built-Up Area: East Haddon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: East Haddon and Holdenby St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP6668 EAST HADDON MAIN STREET
02/11/54 Church of St. Mary
Church. C12-C14 with C19 restoration. Regular coursed lias with slate roof,
nave, south aisle, chancel and west tower. Chancel, south elevation of 3-
window range of 2-light window with reticulated tracery probably dating from
restoration by Mackesay 1872-74 or E.F. Low of 1877. Similar 3-light east
window. North elevation of chancel similar with organ chamber projection.
Gabled roof with ashlar parapet and corbel-table. South aisle of 3-window
range of 3-light square headed windows with similar east and west window.
Porch between windows 1 and 2 from west end with double chamfered arch and
plank and braced door. Ashlar parapet and shallow lean-to roof. South nave
clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light squared headed windows. Nave, north
elevation: three 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, gabled roof with
ashlar parapets. West tower, Perpendicular 3-stage with angle buttresses, 2-
light bell chamber windows to each face of third stage, having cross transoms.
Double string course with crenellated parapet above of 1673 with truncated
pinnacles. Inscribed tablet illegible below south bell chamber window.
Interior: C14 double chamfered chancel arch has C12 double nook-shafted
responds with leaf and waterleaf capitals. Nave C14, four-bay, south
arcade of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Triple-chamfered
tower arch, C19 kingpost and tie beam roof in nave, similar arched braced
roof in chancel. Stained glass in north and south chancel windows and east
window of south aisle. Chancel, north and centre south wall by O'Connor
1861, and chancel south west by Kempe 1883. Piscina with ogee head and shaft
below basin. Triple sedilia with ogee heads adjacent, font C13 with
decorated frieze. Monument to Clarke Adams 1776 is a marble tablet with small
urn above by William Cox.
(Buildings of England: Northhamptonshire, p.198)
Listing NGR: SP6673068166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings