History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14-16, Cockspur Street Sw1

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.5075 / 51°30'27"N

Longitude: -0.1308 / 0°7'50"W

OS Eastings: 529820

OS Northings: 180387

OS Grid: TQ298803

Mapcode National: GBR GF.SS

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.PC6P

Entry Name: 14-16, Cockspur Street Sw1

Listing Date: 20 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209300

Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

20.6.73 Nos. 14 to 16 (consec)


Headquarters offices. 1906-08 by A.T. Bolton for the Hamburg-America
Shipping Line. Portland stone faced, slate roof. Free Style classicism.
4 storeys, attic storey and dormered mansard 4 wide window bays. Ground
floor shipping-hall front in c.1920 granite frame with display windows
flanking central doorway with columns supporting bronze figures of
Britannia and Asia by E.G. Gillock (1920). 1st floor, articulated by
rusticated piers has large mullioned-transomed leaded casements whilst the
2nd and 3rd floors have shallow oriels flanked by paired Ionic columns in
antis through 2 storeys, carrying deep modillion corniced entablature.
Attic storey with 3-light casements between panelled piers, has off centre
right ornate aedicule feature breaking skyline. The interior of the
shipping hall has mahogany panelling inlaid with mother of pearl and with
Corinthian columns in the centre with gilded capitals; the ceiling has
painted panels, inserted in 1920, by Lieutenant Geoffrey Allfree, R.N.C.
Behind the hall is the unaltered manager's office with a black and gold
chandelier of c.1920.

Survey of London; Vol. XX.

Listing NGR: TQ2982080387

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.