History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jubilee Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.5117 / 51°30'41"N

Longitude: -0.1219 / 0°7'18"W

OS Eastings: 530425

OS Northings: 180864

OS Grid: TQ304808

Mapcode National: GBR JD.S8

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T8XH

Entry Name: Jubilee Hall

Listing Date: 4 July 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209336

Location: Westminster, London, WC2E

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Paul Covent Garden

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

Jubilee Hall

Former market hall. 1897-1903 by James Cubitt, built as the Foreign Flower
Market. Red brick with plenty of stone dressings, glazed and slated roofs,
Edwardian "Wrenaissance"-Baroque. 2 storeys with open ground floor loggia
and 1st floor double hall. Symmetrical facades with corner pavilions
flanking east and west fronts of 3 major bays and on their returns longer
north and south facades of 4 major bays. Main entrance to east between
central pair of Tuscan loggia columns with Venetian window above. Similar
west end. The north and south long fronts have Tuscan piers to loggia and
clerestory fenestration of 4 pairs of sash windows with Tuscan pilasters
marking the major bays and coupled engaged Tuscan columns between the
windows; deep band of brickwork between loggia and clerestory with
centrally placed Coat of Arms; entablature and balustraded parapet. The
pavilions with rusticated quoin pilasters, have entrances to 1st floor hall
in wide gabled doorways with block dressings and keys, 1st floor sash
windows and lunettes in the open pediments crowning each face, parapets
with urn finials to corners and overall domed cupolas. Interior has main
access to 1st floor halls by grand double staircase approached by vaulted
porticoes in the eastern entrance pavilions, 1st floor halls have
pilasters dividing clerestories and glazed roof lights over cast iron
trusses, doorways with voussoir blocked and keystoned heads.

Survey of London; Vol. XXXVI.

Listing NGR: TQ3042580864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.