History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

40, Devonshire Street W1

A Grade II Listed Building in Marylebone High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5217 / 51°31'18"N

Longitude: -0.1473 / 0°8'50"W

OS Eastings: 528637

OS Northings: 181933

OS Grid: TQ286819

Mapcode National: GBR C8.3P

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.D0HT

Entry Name: 40, Devonshire Street W1

Listing Date: 1 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356986

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209492

Location: Westminster, London, W1G

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Marylebone

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2881 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER DEVONSHIRE STREET, W1
45/12 (south side)

No. 40

G.V. II

Town house. c.1910. Red brick with stone dressings, tiled roof. Arts
and Crafts Georgian Revival. 2 storeys and attic in pyramidal roof. 4
windows wide. Doorway to left and 2 main ground floor windows in arcaded
openings with keystones and linked by bold stone impost string, the door
recessed in stone eared bolection architrave with cornice and with
fanlight above with radial glazing. To left of doorway a small side
window breaks the symmetry. All windows are recessed sashes, those on
1st floor are set above the spandrels of the ground floor arcade and have
louvred shutters; their reveals are carried up with blind panels to the
soffit of the leaded trough gutter; 4 half-dormers set back and breaking
through the eaves. The house is raised on a tall stone plinth advanced to
front and refaced in marble to provide planting boxes and returned as
"skirting" to mews flank which has slightly projecting bold chimney breast
with panelled stack and beyond basement openings, a circular ground floor
window. Two 1st floor sashes a dormer; the rear has a canted bay. Part of
an early C.20 attempt by the Portland Estate to restore the domestic
character of this area which had become too professional.


Listing NGR: TQ2863681931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.