This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5127 / 51°30'45"N
Longitude: -0.1541 / 0°9'14"W
OS Eastings: 528187
OS Northings: 180926
OS Grid: TQ281809
Mapcode National: GBR 9C.KX
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.87WP
Entry Name: Hampden House
Listing Date: 14 January 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209939
Location: Westminster, London, W1K
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2880 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREEN STREET, Wl
14.1.70 No. 61, (Hampden
Two formerly distinct houses, both c. 1730 and since the 1780 s
linked by a single storey front range and a 2 - storey rear
The main east house (former No. 61) by Roger Morris for himself with
early and later C.19 internal and rear elevation alterations and early
C.20 heightening to centre front. Brown brick, slate roof. An
interesting astylar Palladian exercise of 3 storeys and basement.
Advanced 3 window centre, originally of 2 storeys, with 2 window wide
wings. Central entrance with stucco Doric porch added 1869. Recessed
plate glass sashes under flat gauged arches, stone sills. 1st floor
sill band; parapets with copings. Wrought iron area railings with
flambe torch finials. 3-storey rear elevation, with 3-window wide
centre and slightly advanced single bay wings, is an early C.19
alteration by Henry Harrison; the wings, including 1st floor mezzanine
have tripartite windows set in shallow vertical panels up to stucco
entablature below attic storey. Cast iron geometric pattern balcony
and balconettes to wings on 1st floor, similarly patterned area
railings. Harrison also re-windowed the east and west elevations of
the overlap - extension wing joining No. 60. Interiors retain
Morris's plan with the central apse-sided entrance hall and its box
cornice, a secondary east wing staircase probably by Morris and an
early C.18 fielded panel room, otherwise redecorated by Harrison
including his main staircase with marble relief plaques on walls by
Gibson, Tenerani and Thorwaldsen and Adamesque decoration of the
1870-80 s etc.
The former No. 60 was built by James Richards, Master Carver. Brick,
slate roof, 3 storeys and basement. 2 windows wide. Entrance
originally to east side where there are still original sashes with
thick glazing bars, a rare survival. Parapet with coping. Wrought
iron area railings. Single storey 4-window link of the 1780s has
parapet with coping. The original interior of the former No. 60
retains most of its panelling with box cornices etc. and the dog leg
staircase with turned balusters. Rear extension forms part of 1780s
and early C.19 Harrison work uniting the two properties as one with
late C.19 alterations.
Survey of London; Vol. XL.
Listing NGR: TQ2818780926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings